- 1.5 pounds ground beef (or ground turkey, chicken, or pork)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste (no sugar added)
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth (low-sodium if desired)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste, for spiciness)
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, diced avocado
In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat. Break it apart with a spatula as it cooks. If using lean meat, you may not need to drain excess fat.
Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and bell peppers to the pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
Stir in the diced tomatoes (with their juices) and tomato paste. Mix well to combine.
Pour in the beef or chicken broth, and add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir everything together.
Bring the chili to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. This allows the flavors to meld and the chili to thicken.
Taste the chili and adjust the seasonings to your preference. If you like it spicier, add more cayenne pepper.
Serve the low-carb chili hot, and garnish with optional toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, or diced avocado.