- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (low-sodium if desired)
- 1 teaspoon each of dried basil and oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut cream (for a dairy-free option)
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
Stir in minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add both cans of tomatoes, broth, dried herbs, and season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup until smooth.
Return the soup to the pot (if using a regular blender), stir in the cream, and heat until warmed.
Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot.